I have recently completed an assignment outlining the negative impacts of national testing. There is overwhelming evidence that national testing and the publication of league tables ranking schools has a negative impact on the quality of education provided by schools. This got me thinking about the National Standards which are soon to be implemented into New Zealand schools.
I don't think the National Standards are a problem in themselves. It is great to have a clear idea of what we are aiming to achieve at different age levels in Mathematics and English. The problem as I see it is in how we assess children against the standards and what is done with the results. If New Zealand goes down the compulsory national testing route I believe this will be detrimental to our children's education.
In countries who have implemented national testing research has found that the curriculum is narrowed and teachers feel obligated to teach a small set of skills which will be tested rather than teaching more complex, valuable and powerful thinking and creative skills which the new Zealand curriculum values. National testing has been found to drive down the quality of teaching and learning. I really hope that we will not be forced to do this!
I am interested on what others think about the possibility of national testing in New Zealand schools and whether you think this is a good or bad idea.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Karla,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the National Standards are not necessarily a problem in themselves, but that the concern is really with how we assess the students against the standards and what is done with the results. I would hate to see schools teaching to the National Standards...as you said it goes against what the new curriculum supposedly values and promotes. Schools are also going to be conscious of coming out 'looking good' though, so perhaps it is inevitable!!?? I would also hate to see league tables in local newspapers highlighting the so-called 'winner' and 'loser' schools. The Ministry state that this is not their intention, yet we all know that these tables can eventuate anyway. In a competitive school market, such as the one we are in with Tomorrows' Schools, league tables can be misconstrued and hence, like I mentioned earlier, 'winner' and 'loser' schools are clearly identified for parents to pick and choose from.
Thanks,
Ange
By the way..I meant to say the 'revised' curriculum, not the new curriculum!
ReplyDeleteCheers, Ange
It is interesting that the Ministry is saying that it is not their intention to have league tables published ranking schools, this has already begun to happen with NCEA results so surely they realise it could happen with National Standards information. As Angela said in the competivtie school market which has developed since Tomorrows Schools, league tables could widen the academic achievement gap between what the community sees as sucessful and unsucessful schools. The government will need to be very careful how schools are required to assess children against National Standards and how this information is used, or we will take a giant step backwards in terms of education in NZ schools.
ReplyDelete